U20 Parts

Looking for that rare Roadster part? Post your requests here.

Moderator: Chris Coker

Randy Carter

U20 Parts

Postby Randy Carter » Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:21 pm

Want:

- U20 intake manifold for Mikuni's
- Stock or Comp oil pan

Thanks,

Randy

Sidney Raper

Postby Sidney Raper » Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:06 pm

I have a stock oil pan...
Sid Raper
1964 1500 (project car - to be a driver)
1967 2000 (driving project - to autocross one day...)
plus loads of Roadster stuff....

Randy Carter

Pan

Postby Randy Carter » Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:37 am

Sidney,

I found the pan locally. Thanks! Still looking for the manifold.

Randy

Sidney Raper

Postby Sidney Raper » Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:05 am

no sweat!
Sid Raper

timurf

Postby timurf » Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:23 am

I bought a fabricated pan last year that probably does the aluminum model one better. It was fully baffled (the bare Al one is completely empty) and would survive a whack unlike the cast Aluminum.

Why am I telling you this? In case you want measurements, photos, etc. I can take them before the motor goes back in. I thought of replicating it in stainless but that ain't gonna happen with all the other stuff that needs to be done this season.
Jeebus H Christ here comes the corner!!
Murf

Chris Coker
Site Admin

Postby Chris Coker » Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:45 am

The original Aluminum comp. pan came with a simple "eggcrate" baffle. Even with the baffle, and running an Accusump, I could still see a drop in oil pressure on long right hand turns. My last season of racing I started using the "optional" trap-door style pan insert, and definitely saw an improvement in oil pressure through long turns. I think the pan insert was about $200 from nissan, but work every penny if it saves and engine!

I still have my old eggcrate baffle if anyone needs one. No pan to go with it, though.
Chris C.

Sidney Raper

Postby Sidney Raper » Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:47 am

Murph,

I would love to see photos of that pan. It could be a very early BRE part as they advertised a steel high capacity pan that was baffled...

Chris,

I would love to get the baffle for my street 2000, but it looks like SOB* racing can't afford it...

*SOB - Seriously Over Budget...
Sid Raper

NomadTrash

Postby NomadTrash » Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:04 pm

I recently hired a guy that is into tractor pulling. What does this have to do with comp oil pans?
He makes parts for his tractor and reproductions for restoration project tractors. He does this by sand casting parts from aluminum. The idea is to reduce the weight of parts on the rear of the tractor so that more ballast can be added at the front but still stay unter the maximum weight for the class. Anyway, we have been working on making a reproduction of the comp oil pan. The original pan is very thin which contributes to the cracking and impact hole problem. We are building up the template to make the wall thickness greater for more strength.

We can also make custom pans of your design. If anyone is interested in a new reproduction of the comp oil pan or in a custom pan let me know.

I wanted to build one that had an angled front wall which would allow for easier motor pulling and installation. We could just as easily cast one for dry sump, side chambers like the L-motor pans, or any other design.

If you have any parts on the car that you want to have cast from aluminum we can do that too. (steering box, motor mount,

Later,

Andy
Andy Cost

1968 Datsun Roadster "Bucephalus"
E-Mod 68

Bolt on modification? I used some bolts.

SLOroadster

Postby SLOroadster » Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:51 pm

I've got a reproduction comp oil pan that is full baffled with a trap door sitting on the floor of my apt right now. Its kinda cool.

Will
Porsches are yummy!

Sidney Raper

Postby Sidney Raper » Fri Jun 16, 2006 4:25 pm

Andy,

What price point do you see these pans coming in at?

BTW, I always wanted a 1600 comp pan. It is aluminum and has a stepped front like the stock steel pan. I saw one on eBay once, but the auction ended before I could bid.
Sid Raper

NomadTrash

Postby NomadTrash » Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:21 pm

The standard comp pans are going to run in the $800 range for a rough casting. The mounting flange should be smooth enough that it won't need to to be machined. The mounting holes for the baffle and the drain plug will need to be drilled and tapped. The mounting flange holes will need to be drilled.

For a custom shape it will probably run a little more than that because we will have to make a new mold and it will take a few tries to get it right. The shrinkage of aluminum as it cools is a problem. You can't just make asand casting from a part. The sand casting has to be a little larger so that when the aluminum shrinks it will end up the right size.

If you are interested in a stepped style pan we could probably cast a regular one and then cut it apart. and weld back together in the proper shape or we could build one from scratch.
Andy Cost

1968 Datsun Roadster "Bucephalus"

E-Mod 68

Bolt on modification? I used some bolts.

Return to “Classifieds - Wanted”