auto-log

Post your board problems, or suggestions for improvement here.

Moderator: Chris Coker

Troy T

auto-log

Postby Troy T » Fri Feb 07, 2003 12:27 am

Chris, even though I have checked the box to auto-log me in everytime I log on, it still doesn't recognize me and I have to manually login. What am I doing wrong?
Troy
1965 SPL 310 1500
HSR-West, ASRA, VARA #66
Carefree, Arizona

Chris Coker
Site Admin

Postby Chris Coker » Fri Feb 07, 2003 5:26 am

Troy,

My guess is that you'll need to set your browser to accept "cookies." There should be a way to set that in your browsers settings/preferences. If you have trouble finding it, let me know which browser your are using, and on what kind of computer (mac/pc/unix/etc) and I'll try to coach you through it.
Chris C.

Troy T

Postby Troy T » Fri Feb 07, 2003 7:11 pm

CC,
I use AOL and have it set to accept all cookies. I have reset it, and still no luck. Odd that several other bulletin boards I frequent recognize me, just not this one. Hmmm...
Thanks for the AVATAR help.
TT
1965 SPL 310 1500
HSR-West, ASRA, VARA #66
Carefree, Arizona

Chris Coker
Site Admin

Postby Chris Coker » Fri Feb 07, 2003 9:56 pm

Troy,

I'll do a little research, and look into it on my end. When you mention you don't have a problem with other boards, do you happen to know if they are pbpBB boards like this one? It will typically say "powered by pbpBB" down at the bottom of the page.

I'm a relative newcomer to this stuff too. Hopefully, we'll get it all figured out eventually. It's all been pretty easy to maintain, so far...as long as I don't tinker around with it too much. :roll:
Chris C.

Troy T

Postby Troy T » Sat Feb 08, 2003 11:20 am

CC,
the other lists are powered by vBulletin and UBB.threads, and still recognize me as of this morning, so maybe pbpBB doesn't like AOL. not a problem, i don't mind logging in.
TT
1965 SPL 310 1500
HSR-West, ASRA, VARA #66
Carefree, Arizona

Chris Coker
Site Admin

Postby Chris Coker » Mon Feb 10, 2003 7:36 am

Troy,

I did a little reading on the phpBB support board, and it looks like there are issues with AOL and they way phpBB handles security, and identifying users. The short answer: phpBB programmers could fix the issue, but it would result in a less secure board, and open the door for people to figure out how to login as someone else. Certainly not a problem on our board, but I can see how that could potentially be an issue for some of the larger disussion topics.

Sorry about that. Looks like you'll have to continue logging in each time.
Chris C.

Return to “Board Issues”