2011 Runoffs

Tell others about your latest trip to the track.

Moderator: Chris Coker

Bill Wessel
Roadster Fanatic

2011 Runoffs

Postby Bill Wessel » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:33 pm

I'm just back from Nebraska where I was able to get the job done and qualify for the Runoffs. It's been one of the most challenging seasons yet what with being wrecked on the way to Grattan and then loosing the engine at the Cat. But that's all over now...in a month, we start the run for the podium again!

Here's the link to the Runoffs schedule. My race is 1:30 on Friday (FP). http://www.scca.com/documents/Club_Even ... .15.11.pdf

Here's the link to tickets for Road America if you happen to be in the area. Find me in the paddock and stop by. https://www.roadamerica.com/store/produ ... x?catid=30

See you at the track!

Bill

Ponder

Re: 2011 Runoffs

Postby Ponder » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:41 am

Good Luck Bill!
I drank what? - Socrates

Bill Wessel
Roadster Fanatic

Postby Bill Wessel » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:32 am

Rain first session; didn't go out.

overheating issues with bad radiator yesterday, borrowed another one from Dave S. Hoping for a good lap today!

Bill

Mike Unger

Postby Mike Unger » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:34 am

Good Luck Bill!
Mike Unger

Ponder

Postby Ponder » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:34 pm

Good Result today! Up to 7th!
I drank what? - Socrates

Bill Wessel
Roadster Fanatic

Postby Bill Wessel » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:40 pm

got the lap I needed....1:35.4 putting me 7th on the grid.

scrubbing tires and wait for the race tomorrow.

Bill

Bill Wessel
Roadster Fanatic

Postby Bill Wessel » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:32 pm

equaled yesterdays time on 2nd lap out, more in the car but broke an axle. all fixed and ready for the race!

Bill Wessel
Roadster Fanatic

Postby Bill Wessel » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:14 pm

After all we went through this season, just getting to the Runoffs was cause for champagne and we had four bottles through the week!

Here's a recap of the week:

Monday was wet and we were first out at 8:00 am. With three more days of qualifying, we stayed in and had a free day.

Tuesday dawned bright and clear and was the first day to show your stuff...unfortunately, my stuff was too hot to handle a lap, 230-240F water temp in one lap. Came in to cool off and try again, but no dice (same thing) on second try. Clogged and plugged radiator to blame. Called roadster race buds John Wierz and Dave Smarzinski and borrowed Dave's radiator (which was a clone to mine) from him just nearby in Menasha. Clocked a time good for DFL in the class!

Wednesday we had a good run and the car ran strong and cool (thanks to Dave). Ran only about 5 laps and ran a 2:35.4 good enough for 6th on the day and 7th overall. Satisfied to be in the grid and good to go racing with one more day to scrub tires and maybe better my time.

Thursday went out on new stickers and ran an equal 2:35.4 on the second lap. But the track was soon littered with yellows and then I broke the left axle on a first-second shift digging out of turn 5 following Kennard and Ruck. I knew there was more in the car, but couldn't complete the lap. I use modified stock axles and carry spares so we were OK, but I had to be careful on the shifts and the rumble strips!

Fridays race went real well overall. I'm happy with the result and the 5th place finish. Yes, I was in striking distance of the front runners and contact from behind (twice) and a spin did put me out of a possible podium, but I ran a personal best fast time in the race (2:34.19) and was able to come back to fifth after the spin.

The engine I put together over Labor Day weekend ran strong (in it's first race) and I'm real pleased to be stronger this season against the dual cammed, four valved, fuel injected Miata's and Acura's. For that, I thank Bill at REDI, Mark at TriMark, JP at JP Metalfab and Price at Kelly-Moss whose help has gotten me this far. And thanks to all you guys for your interest and support.Thanks also to Dave for the radiator that saved my week!

See you at the Midwestern Council Loooong Races at Blackhawk Farms!
Last edited by Bill Wessel on Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ponder

Postby Ponder » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:49 am

Congratulations on the great Effort, Bill!

I was watching live timing on Friday and figured there was some kind of off track excursion. Apparently, that's racing.

Great job,
Steve
I drank what? - Socrates

Bill Wessel
Roadster Fanatic

Postby Bill Wessel » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:43 pm

Hey guys, just wanted to let you in on the latest.

The video of the race (FP is at the beginning) has been posted and can be found here: http://speedcasttv.com/scca/#/races/257

Here's a link to some pictures that Steve Jacobson took on the race day:
http://jakenet.homeip.net/2011-Runoffs/index.html

Bill

Return to “Race Reports”