2010 SCCA Runoffs

Tell others about your latest trip to the track.

Moderator: Chris Coker

Bill Wessel
Roadster Fanatic

2010 SCCA Runoffs

Postby Bill Wessel » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:27 pm

The Runoffs are coming! The SCCA Runoffs are the pinnacle of amateur sports car racing and will be held at Road America in beautiful Elkhart Lake WI. I'll be racing my solexed 1600 in FP on Sunday, Sept. 26th at ~1:30pm. Here's a link to advance ticket pricing (order by the 15th) https://www.roadamerica.com/store/produ ... x?catid=30

Bill

Albert Gast

Re: 2010 SCCA Runoffs

Postby Albert Gast » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:33 pm

hi bill ; a little late with a post , but the best to you at the runoffs . can't be there to root for you in person , but i wish you and all the racers the best race ever !!
got to speak to greg today and wish him luck . glue yourself to ken's bumper and go for the gold .
regards ; al gast

Albert Gast

Postby Albert Gast » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:51 pm

hi guys ; just a note to remind that the live broadcast of the runoffs can be viewed at speedcasttv on the web all weekend -9/24 25 26 .
al gast

Mike Poorboy

Postby Mike Poorboy » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:37 am

Live timing is located here :

http://www.livetiming.net/SCCA/Runoffs/LiveTiming.asp

Bill is in the 10th qualified position as of this morning.

Mike

Mike Poorboy

Postby Mike Poorboy » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:54 pm

Looks like Bill will start 8th on Sunday. He had the 5th fastest time in Q3, but didn't have a time for Q2 the fastest of the qualifying sessions.

Good Luck Bill !!

Bill Wessel
Roadster Fanatic

Postby Bill Wessel » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:59 pm

Hi Mike, thanks for keeping folks informed.

Yes, I broke a spindle (left front axle) on the out lap on the best day for qualifying with perfect conditions for fast times. Steve Sargis set a new track record.

But I got it all together for the session on Thursday and got back up to 8th spot from my Tues time when the track had been wet.

Watching others race until Sunday! Greg Ira got second in EP today.

Bill

George H

Postby George H » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:17 pm

Unofficial results Bill got 3rd. Congrats

Bill Wessel
Roadster Fanatic

Postby Bill Wessel » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:01 pm

So you know the result, but here's the story...

It begins a few weeks before as I looked over my results for the past two seasons with two engines and tried to figure which one had made best power, then factor in that one had a cam break at the first event this year and the replacement cam in the engine wasn't quite as good (down ~20HP by the dyno). So I built another one out of the two, swapping the head onto the other block. Everything seemed good with the clearances, so I thought...But thursday before the start of Runoffs week, I took it out to a chassis dyno and it just didn't do anything. Though it would run, it failed to make any power and just didn't sound crisp or have the will to rev!

Next night, I pulled it and found that the backside of the pistons were just kissing the head under the sparkplug; an area that I hadn't factored in my clearance calcs and interference I couldn't feel setting up the engine by hand. Like I said, on paper, this thing should have rocked!

So on Saturday, I worked all day to assemble another version by taking the cam, lifters and timing chains from the other block and using them in the original block in place of the replacement cam that spec'ed out with less lift. Had it back in the car and ran it that night....sounded good, I was encouraged!

On Sunday, I packed everything up in the van and headed up to Road America. Now it's only 2 hours away, but my parents were coming in from MA and we were all meeting up and staying at the Victorian Village across from Siebkins, so the pressure was on to have the car together and be there. Plus, I hadn't reserved a spot in the paddock (I refuse to pay for grass we took for granted), so I was a bit anxious about finding a spot. It all worked out in the end and I found a spot in the upper south paddock along the road from the Briggs and Stratton tunnel. My wife meanwhile, picked up my parents and we all met at the suite....life is good!

Monday was a free day for FP as our race was on Sunday, so I spent it getting through tech and getting contingency, setting up the paddock more and retorqueing the head, checking lash, bleeding brakes, etc. Getting ready, basically...

Tuesday was our first qualifying session at 9:00am and though we were the third group to hit the track, it was still wet from rain the night before. I went out on grooved slicks and ran pretty well, placing 10th with a 2:44.825. In retrospect I could have done better had I stayed out until the end as the track was drying, but I knew that fast times would not be set on this day and had been satisfied with the way the engine pulled.

Wednesday our session was at noon last before lunch and it was a beautiful day, crisp and cool, excellent for HP and fast times. I was pumped to get a good time. Greg Gauper, a friend in HP had turned a personal best earlier in the day. So I'm on the outlap and warming up when along the run down to turn 12 past the kink, the car suddenly drops on the driver's side and the steering becomes extremely heavy. I fight just to keep it straight, raise my hand and pull off drivers left as we enter the turn. When I touch the brakes the LF tire rips from the car and ends up past the car in the litter. BUMMER....broke the spindle! (No, not loose lugs! No crew to blame, I'm slightly relieved....and thankful that it didn't happen at speed!) So I watch (with no time) as others set their best times, Sargis sets a track record, and fret if I can fix it! After the session, the tow driver set's it gently on jackstands back in my paddock and we survey the damage. Spindle broke, caliper mount ears ripped away and with the hub inside the wheel, fiberglass damaged but repairable. I make a list of things I think I'm going to need and start making calls. The problem mainly is replacing the caliper, which is a 70-78 Z car caliper, but is machined to fit over the roadster rotor... There's one at the NAPA warehouse in Chicago, but then I remember Peter at World Wide in Madison. Give him a call and sure enough he has one on the shelf. Credit card purchase over the phone and I'm off back home to Madison. I pick up the caliper after hours (Pete left it outside under the stairs), stop at my house for spare spindle, rotor, wheel bearings, ball joint tools, etc, and then head over to my fabricator's shop (J.P. Metalfab in Lodi) to machine the caliper. We get it done by 9:00pm and I'm back up in Elkhart by 11:00pm.

Our Thursday session was at 4:00pm, so I had all day to put it back together. It all came apart and went back together very well. No frantic thrash and we were prepared for a final attempt to get it in the show, but the weather has changed again; it's hotter and more humid, not as favorable. Still with the bit in my teeth I went out on new Goodyear stickers and clocked a 2:36.937 good enough for 5th in the session and 8th overall on the grid. I was pleased, we were back in business. But the car had run kinda hot (235 water) which had me abit concerned.

Friday and Saturday were free days to watch others race. Greg Ira (240Z) took second in EP and Dan Meller (510) dropped out of 3rd in HP (fuel pump) allowing my friends Chris Albin to take 3rd and Greg Gauper to get 4th, respectively.

Our race Sunday was at 1:30pm, first after lunch break. I had made a new restrictor for the water inlet in the head to better equalize flow and flushed more rust out of the system and replaced with water and water wetter. We were fueled, tired and ready to go...The start however, wasn't the best as, at the green, the car missed coming down the front straight and several cars past before she cleared her throat and got going. I past a few and was 9th after the first lap, then past a few more and was back to 5th after the second lap. The leaders were gone yet I had gapped the cars behind as well. Then Ken Kannard came back at me gaining quickly. However, as we went through the kink all of a sudden his car in my mirror was enveloped in smoke and he was gone when I looked again on the front straight. As the laps ticked on, Bob called over the radio that that I was in 4th when Sargis dropped out, then 3rd as Eric Prill found the tires in 12. At this point all I had to do was drive it in. And I'm happy to say that I was able to, because if I let up or breathed the throttle, the engine would miss again pulling out of the corners. She just wanted to run WOT or not at all!

So that's the story, third overall, some 36 seconds back from 1st and 2nd, but over a minute ahead of 4th place. My second podium since 2004 in Mid Ohio. It was way cool, trophies, microphones, hat exchanges, pictures, popping corks, etc. Thank you's to my wife Liz and Mom and Dad, to Joe and Lois Hauser, to my neighbor Steve (who had predicted a third the night before), to Nissan and Goodyear, and Peter and JP who came to my aid and made it possible to get back in the mix. Here's the link to the results page http://www.scca.com/eventresults.aspx?event=15558&hub=1
and the story off the SCCA website http://www.scca.com/newsarticle.aspx?hub=1&news=4020
Pictures are on the Dairyland Datsun and my facebook pages.

See you next year, at the track!

Bill
47 FP Datsun SPL311

Ponder

Postby Ponder » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:54 am

Great Job, Bill. Congratulations!
I drank what? - Socrates

Bill Wessel
Roadster Fanatic

Postby Bill Wessel » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:45 pm

The race coverage is up!

http://speedcasttv.com/scca/#/races/224

Enjoy my ride...I certainly did!

Bill

Ponder

Postby Ponder » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:40 am

Bill,

Nice picture picture in Sportscar. Are they going to show the runoffs on Speed again or was the online broadcast the only airing? It would usually be on in early December.

Steve
I drank what? - Socrates

Bill Wessel
Roadster Fanatic

Postby Bill Wessel » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:40 pm

No Speed broadcast, but that Speedcast TV link (above) works 24/7, on demand. It's always there, better than Speed in that respect, but as good in terms of the production.

Enjoy it anytime, thanks to Speedcast TV!

Bill

Return to “Race Reports”