2010 Elkhart Lake Vintage Festival Sept 10-12

Tell others about your latest trip to the track.

Moderator: Chris Coker

jake7140

2010 Elkhart Lake Vintage Festival Sept 10-12

Postby jake7140 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:28 pm

To anyone in the area or willing to make a trip: I plan on being there all weekend and looking for mid-pack. woohoo, but I'm way outclassed in the VSCDA structure.
Look for the red #33 yard sign, I'll hopefully be along the main pit road at the bottom of the hill, across the street form corner 5. It's always a great vintage scene with a lot of very nice machinery of all sorts. I again plan to be giving rides during lunch hour Sat & Sun unless no one wants to go OR I finagle a drive in someone's red Cheetah. Hope to see you there for the "final" Road America brat of the summer. PS: Watch out for the mini brats some stands are passing off. Only settle for the real deal.

For more info see:
http://www.vscda.org/races/elkhartLake.php - General info
http://www.vscda.org/races/pdfs/elvfSchedule.pdf - the preliminary schedule - I'm in group 8, and trying the Enduro
www.roadamerica.com - RA's site with public info
www.NoNameRacing.com - My site with pics and vid of the car

Bill W. will be there Friday to help me with the enduro. The more the merrier! report to follow, of course. Perhaps I'll get some good video and pics this time.

jake7140

Re: 2010 Elkhart Lake Vintage Festival Sept 10-12

Postby jake7140 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:24 pm

Wow. Where do I start? Whoever said you can't have the highs without knowing the lows was dead on. I had them both, and was lucky enough to have friends and fellow competitors help me through the lows, and celebrate the highs.

Thurday: To the track, register, tech, set up camp. Met a photgrapher raving over the car and ended up in quite the photo shoot at the end of the day. Waiting for the pics to come online.

Friday: Woke up and couldn't put any weight on my knee. Must have twisted it in the night. Note to self: maybe you're old enough not to have to sleep in the van Thurs might anymore. But it's a tradition. Bill Wessel shows up for support duties. Session one, engine feels good, but pull it in after 4 laps as oil pressure started dropping precipitously under braking and cornering, also at idle then. Of comes the pan, bearing check, discover .020 conn rod side clearance. Seems big. Miss next session. Get some 50wt oil (had gone to 40wt to reduce the 90-100psi oil pressure from MO. But by then we had to get to grid for the 1 hour enduro, still 40wt oil. 3-4 laps in smoking starts, black flag. Pull in, reset the valve cover gasket, back out, 1 more lap and it's smoking, black flag, done. Meet and chat with a lot of great people at the track dinner. Drain the oil, replace with 50 wt. Meet the family and other friends. Knee is better, but still sore. Really bummed. Been through this already, garage and street testing seemed to go fine. This was a fresh (but unknown) engine.

Saturday: 11:00 session. start getting ready, go to fire engine; clank. Next door (65 Cheetah) mechanic (whom I know) suggests hydro lock. Remove plugs, sure enough, it's time for oil fountains. the cloud darkens. But we get it all cleaned out, fired up, race up to grid. Session closed. I'm getting tired of these 4 laps and out weekends. Really kills the $/lap ratios. Was able to take some friends and others out for touring at lunch. I really like being able to share the experience like that. But it crapped out near the end again. Well, we did find (Bill on Friday) a valve that seemed to wiggle a bit. Check again, now there are a couple wigglers, and worse. Intake off, feeling guides. So it's just running past the valves into the chamber. The end? Friends grilled up a great steak and salmon dinner, then I decided to take it home, (1.5 hours away) and try my other head. Get home about 9:30. Two friends show up and we make the head swap and fire it up. it works. 2:00am. 3o mins was spent trying to find 2 missing intake nuts. Arrgh. SAE head vs metric.

Sunday: Of course today I have the 8:00 warm up and 8:30 session. Who needs sleep? 1 lap for warm up. Seems good. 8:30 sprint race. Wow, running good, make some passes, actually able to stick with cars after the corners! Dice with and MGBGT for a couple laps. Temp gauge reaching near 280. I ease up a bit, but keep going. Smells , sounds and feels fine. I'm here now, I ain't turning back.

Big wreck at the end of the front straight, Parts and pieces everywhere. No injuries. It was the guy paddocked next to me whom I hung out with Thursday night. Beautiful 911 that had won Friday's race. Totaled. Elva Courier, totaled, another 911 with heavy damage. The limping Elva had turned across the track from right to left right in front of him. I felt bad, he and his Datsun 510 and 1200 teammates had been so gracious and helpful to me all weekend. Did what I could to help load the car, but it needed heavy equipment. At the end of the session engine does not seem overly hot.

11:00 Kimberly Cup race. Up to grid early just to soak it all in. I've got a lot of making up to do. There were 3 Cup races, put together by Friday lap times: <2:45, 2:45-3:00, +3:00. Luckily, I had come in at 3:02, so was the top end of the slow group. Of course times will go down as people become familiar with the track, but better than the other option. First lap in I get 'stuck' behind a '27 Bugatti. I marvel as he ice dances it around every corner and particularly around the carousel. A thing of beauty. I can catch him in the corners, he's good at making it wide, and I am NOT getting to close to a car worth a couple 00's magnitude more than mine. He pulls me on the long straights though. But I finally make the pass at turn 5, then mysteriously lose power up the hill, so he passes me back. Get things back after 6, and play the game again, not really minding racing a few feet from a 2.3 liltre supercharged inline 8 icon. Not something everyone gets to do.

On the last lap, I finally get an unobstructed shot at The Kink, full speed. Ahhh, finally. But I'm so excited, I early apex! Never early apex in the kink. But I know it as soon as I turn the wheel, and am able to guide the car along the wall, until the rear slowly comes around, both feet in, and I make a 180, then back again in the middle of the track. But no contact. Tried a bump start at the end of the spin , but not enough forward motion left to kick it. Engine won't turn over, so I'm left to be towed in, 3 turns shy of the finish. Turns a 15th OA, 3rd in class to a 3rd from last. But I'm elated.

Charge the battery, and it's out for more lunchtime touring. Son, friends, roadster friends, some guy from Argentina, and it's all good.

- I met a lot of great new people
- Re-met a lot of people, some of which remembered me from the 07 race
- Almost threw in the towel for the weekend/year
- Experienced a lot of things few people ever do (see 'stupid error' below)
- Was reminded that these racers are the best people
- Was reminded that old true friends will support you when you least expect it
- Survived a stupid error in the kink, unscathed.
- Made it past step 2 of 100 in getting a functional race car.

A few videos at:
http://jakenet.homeip.net/2010-ELVF/20100912-KinkDoublePass.wmv (27MB)
http://jakenet.homeip.net/2010-ELVF/20100912-KinkEarlyApex.wmv (13MB)

And a picture of touring with my daughter:
http://dom87ss.smugmug.com/Cars/Road-America/Vintage/IMG5528-copy/1007138944_finYj-L.jpg

So a big thanks to all who helped, to name a few: Bill Wessel, Dan Brunner, Tim Krikau, Jim Bell, the Turn Right Racing guys, the Cheetah guy, the Roadster friends, and the family and friends who let me think I'm not a nut case.

Mike Unger

Postby Mike Unger » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:05 am

Steve,

Good job sticking with it and getting the car back out there! I know the feeling of racing with some historic and valuable machinery. Some years ago I was racing a 510 at Summit Point and I was sliding around the carrousel inside a Porsche 904. At that point I realized his car was worth much more than my house and I wondered what the heck I was doing! Congratulations on turning around the weekend!

Mike
Mike Unger

jake7140

Postby jake7140 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:21 pm

Thanks Mike. I really wonder sometimes why we do this stuff and if I can do any more. Then I finally get some seat time and poof, no more wondering. I still don't have a good way to describe it to those that haven't done it.

Bill Wessel
Roadster Fanatic

Postby Bill Wessel » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:12 am

Steve,

I have to admit to being a bit busy in the past weeks and now just read about your Saturday/Sunday. I know you called after and told me about the head swap and it all coming good in the end, but WOW! survive a spin in the kink unscathed is guardian angel time.

I am so pleased for you and equally pumped that you could see my third at the Runoffs. Road America is the type of track where legends are made! We made some roadster history this season and have alot to be proud of.

Congratulations and look forward to more track times....

Bill

Return to “Race Reports”