Gentlemen, start your engines!

Tell others about your latest trip to the track.

Moderator: Chris Coker

Bill Wessel
Roadster Fanatic

Gentlemen, start your engines!

Postby Bill Wessel » Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:26 pm

Don't think I really have to remind those who frequent this forum, but just in case, it's time to buy tape, set the VCR clock, and get ready to watch the GP Runoff race on SPEED, Sunday, Dec 12th at 2:00pm EST.

I can't wait, been watching the others race this past weekend!

Should be good!

Bill Wessel

Ponder

Postby Ponder » Thu Dec 09, 2004 3:31 pm

Just a reminder that it's THIS Sunday on SPEED to watch Bill in the runoffs.

I don't know if a reminder is needed since the thread's still at the top of the list. But, if it does anyone any good it'll be worth it.

Steve
I drank what? - Socrates

Russell Roach

Postby Russell Roach » Mon Dec 13, 2004 8:31 am

Bill!

You are the man!! Around the outside of Allen in The Keyhole!!!!!

Holy Palamino on Christmas Crackers!! That move took some serious stones!

The show is on my Tivo where it will remain until next years runoffs, I especially like the chrome horn move on the orange car! you were clearly faster than those two through madness.

Great showing!

Russell

Jeff Remfert

Postby Jeff Remfert » Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:22 am

Great Race! One of, if not the best races of the runoffs. If the bunny and the dime would just have been a little less scary, I can see you fighting for second. Nice move avoiding both big crunch-ups, what was the 510 thinking in one :shock:
Great race, I have it on tape as well!

Chris Coker
Site Admin

Postby Chris Coker » Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:12 am

Yeah, nice race. Unfortunately, my dish was having weather releated problems, and I missed the first four laps. :( Hopefully, I can make another attemped to tape the race when they get replayed.

The rest of the race was fun to watch. It would have been nice to hear from the other podium finishers during the post race interviews. :twisted:
Chris C.

DatsunBucky

Postby DatsunBucky » Mon Dec 13, 2004 3:36 pm

Way to go, Bill!

I found it interesting that when the announcer first mentioned you, it was as "the #47 car", then it was "the Datsun S-P-L-311" and by the end of the broadcast he was up to "Roadster". :D The clock on my VCR was running a few minutes early, so I got the last couple of minutes of the SRF race, and it recorded just long enough to see the interview with the winning GP driver (his name doesn't even matter since while he was in a Datsun, it wasn't one of the "good ones").
Bucky
67.5 1600 project

Russell Roach

Postby Russell Roach » Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:08 pm

Guys

Having the benefit of tivo I could slow down the wreck between the rabbit and the 510, you can clearly see the eyes of the rabbit driver look to the outside where the 510 was going :shock: I think it was a bad move to block as the 510 was already heading in that direction and I think this choice consequently caused the wreck.

Unfortunate that it happened, but glad it paid benefits for Bill.

Russell

Mike Poorboy

Postby Mike Poorboy » Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:11 pm

Congrats Bill !!
Other then the Dime that checked out early and ran his own race the rest
of you in the front were in a dogfight the rst of the way.

One thing I did notice about teh mixed GP field . RWD vs FWD is that when the FWD cars in corner entry do the dog , and makes they very vulnerable
to the RWD cars at the turn in point. Usually the RWD can do some bumping
in that part of the course to gain a bit of advantage. The bad part is thats when the FWD cars get tumbled the easiest.

Looks like you had a bit of bump draft and accident avoidance damage in the
drivers front :)

Speed TV didn't go out of their way to mention you much , even though you were in the hunt the whole race :( . Plus with the yellows they didn't even get to interview you . Next year when you are on the top of the podium you will get some TV time :).

Mike

Randy Carter

Great

Postby Randy Carter » Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:11 pm

Bill,

Just absolutely spectacular!!!!

Bill Wessel
Roadster Fanatic

Postby Bill Wessel » Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:56 pm

Glad you guys liked it! It was quite the ride...the front row seat for two horrendous crashes I'll gladly give up, however. Nobody hurt, thankfully.

Mercifully, my spin wasn't shown....only that "Wessel has fallen back a few spots". I'm glad they showed the pass back for third. But I'm still kicking myself for throwing away second.

Randy asked about the front suspension and rates etc. Randy, I wish it were more complicated, but the truth is that I have about 3/4 to 1" (1000 lb/in cut-down comp springs) of travel in the front before I'm on the modified bumpstops and go karting. I used up a 430 left front in qualifying and went to a scrubbed 475 for the race. I'm going to be building the front suspension this winter/spring and running it for the first time. The rear was coiled over last winter and works pretty well; if only to balance the car easier than with leafs. The front bar is a custom bent 27mm chrome moly rod using the existing front frame points and adjustable heims to connect under the bumpstop posts. It's Joe's design. All we did was make sure it was neutral (no pre-load) on the pad.

Wish I could tell you more but that's all there was to it. Hope for all the horsepower you can muster and then drive like hell :twisted:

Bill

Return to “Race Reports”