Overheating

Tell others about your latest trip to the track.

Moderator: Chris Coker

NomadTrash

Overheating

Postby NomadTrash » Mon Mar 29, 2004 2:02 pm

The little electric motor turning my water pump with a toothed belt couldn't get the job done. The first thing that happened is that all the bolts holding the water pump pulley on dissappeared in the middle of a run. When I pulled back into the grid the car was up to 230 degrees. Luckily the local Autozone had some of the right size bolts. I locktighted them in. The second thing that happened is that the water pump pulley is not exactly centered on the shaft. It wobbles a bit. This causes the belt to go stiff and slack. The little motor is not designed for high tension on the belt. In the middle of the next run the tension on the belt was enough to stop the electric motor from turning. The temp went up to 230 again. I loosened the belt so that the motor didn't jamb up any more. For the last three runs everything worked as designed. The temp rose to 210 and higher while on course. I don't think the motor turned the water pump fast enough. The belt may have been slipping a little bit since I loosened it so much.

The alternator cut out that I built kind of fizzled also. I used a starter solenoid off a Ninja bike to cut the output wire from the alternator. My thoughts were that Ninja bikes are really fast and using some of thier parts would make the Datsun faster. Unfortunately, starter solenoids are not designed to be run continuous duty cycle. In the few minutes that the car spent running with the solinoid energised the thing burned up. There were no big flames like the last time I did some "experimental wiring" in the car. It just stopped working.

My next plan is to get a larger pulley for the drive motor on the water pump. This should overdrive the system. I will also get the water pump pulley a little less wobbly. I can put a switch on the field coil wire to the alternator and turn it on and off that way. I am concerned that the thing will self excite and turn on even with the field coil wire disconnected.

I still whooped up on all the other competitors in my class :wink:

Later,
Andy Cost

1968 Datsun Roadster "Bucephalus"
E-Mod 68

Bolt on modification? I used some bolts.

Ponder

Postby Ponder » Mon Mar 29, 2004 4:01 pm

Andy,

Good luck at the Houston tour event this weekend. You're alone in EP so far. I wonder how the bumping order will go? If I had my rulebook next to me here at work (as I should), I could tell you.

Steve
I drank what? - Socrates

NomadTrash

Postby NomadTrash » Mon Mar 29, 2004 4:55 pm

They don't bump at the National Tour events. They do bump at the Pro-Solo's. THe chart goes EP-AP-DM-CM-BM-AM. With no AP-DM I would bump into CM and run against the formula Fords.
Andy Cost

1968 Datsun Roadster "Bucephalus"

E-Mod 68

Bolt on modification? I used some bolts.

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 30, 2004 12:23 pm

Now that you mention it, it was a prosolo I saw the bumping results in. Last week's at Topeka. Street prepared had some bumped together classes.

Return to “Race Reports”