Roll Cage

Discussion about Datsun 1500, 1600, and 2000 race cars.

Moderator: Chris Coker

chuck

Roll Cage

Postby chuck » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:33 pm

Hi, I'm new to the forum. I am currently restoring a '65 roadster (upgraded to 1600) for vintage racing. The old roll bars have been removed, and will be replaced by an scca spec cage. Has anyone used Paeco's scca cage? Thanks, Chuck

Roe Lyle

Re: Roll Cage

Postby Roe Lyle » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:08 pm

Howdy Dew and thanks for joining in Chuck !

I don't know anyone that has used the Paeco SCCA roll cage for a roadster. For vintage I assume you will be building a low front hoop cage. From experience I suggest you make sure their main hoop they supply is tall enough to clear your helmet as you are setting
in your favorite race seat. All of the cages in my cars were custom made.

Good Luck with your 1600.

Roe

Bill Wessel
Roadster Fanatic

Postby Bill Wessel » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:10 am

There is nothing in racing that trips up more folks than sanction body cage rules or safety rules in general, because they're all different depending on the sanction body and class. Now for you to build to current SCCA production cage rules, you stand a good chance of being approved wherever you go with the car. But you'd be overbuilt by most vintage sanction standards which are less stringent than current SCCA prod rules. So think long and hard and study the rules of the sanction body and class of racing you want to do before you start cutting tube and welding.

I have no knowledge to tell you whether the Paeco cage is acceptable or not. I have never dealt with Paeco (actually avoid them to be honest...). I did once buy an Autopower bar for a street roadster that I autocrossed and then had to put in a crossbrace when a rule change mandated it.

Cage building is best left to people with experience both in welding and fabrication. You'll need to find someone with the knowledge of the correct tube stock, proper bending and notching tools and welding. And I would agree it's best to be a custom build. You'll want to be a part of it to make sure you have clearance for your elbows, knees, head etc. when you're seated in the car. With a cage kit, you get what they give you, then have to fix it or live with it.

Hope that helps...

Bill

SLOroadster

Postby SLOroadster » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:38 pm

Funny this topic should come up. I'm also in the process of making my car Vintage legal. I have a feeling that I could run into some grief with my Autopower roll bar. I'm thinking of adding a Petty Bar running forward, but I'll see what is said. Odds are you will need a diagonal bar as well as a harness bar.

I'll post the findings as I get them.

Will
Porsches are yummy!

DatsunBucky

Postby DatsunBucky » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:57 pm

Hey Will-

Is yours a weld-in, or a bolt-in with backing plates?
Bucky
67.5 1600 project

chuck

Postby chuck » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:19 pm

Thanks for the helpful info. It looks like a custom cage is the way to go.

SLOroadster

Postby SLOroadster » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:35 am

DatsunBucky wrote:Hey Will-

Is yours a weld-in, or a bolt-in with backing plates?

Bolt in with backing plates. There is a very good chance that it could be come a welded in bolt in with backing plates in the very near future.

Will
Porsches are yummy!

SLOroadster

Postby SLOroadster » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:44 pm

I took a trip out to one of the fab shops at Sears Point today and it looks like my simple Autopower bolt in roll bar will be fine for VSCCA, VARA, HSR-West ect if I add a cross bar and make the harness bar permanent. Thats both a good thing and a bad thing since I will never be able to get a wheel on the package shelf after this. I kinda need the ability to put the wheel there since I have to drive to and from the races, and I'd rather not wear out the tires getting to and from the track. I guess its now, one in the trunk two or three lashed to the roll bar (so much for rear visibility) or two on the roll bar and one in the passenger seat. Oh well. Time to break out the welder and weld this sucker up.

Will
Porsches are yummy!

chuck

Postby chuck » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:12 pm

Thanks to all for the helpful comments and advice. I found a local custom shop that ironically builds datsun roadsters for competition. We were going to go with an autopower hoop, but to save time we ordered paeco's complete SCCA cage kit. I will let everyone know how it works out. Some of you may know of the shop. It's Barry Brown's "Riter Restorations". He is a racer as well as a builder, and has built a lot of noteable cars and trucks. His stuff has been in many magazines including hotrod and scca and datsuns magazines. Again thank you for helping my team get on the right track. I will try to update as work progresses. Chuck

DatsunBucky

Postby DatsunBucky » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:23 am

SLOroadster wrote: ... (so much for rear visibility) ...

Hey Will- Here in Utah you don't even NEED a rear view mirror. If you did have rear visibility, you'd just see the front differential of some lifted pick-em-up about one car length back. :shock: Sometimes it's just better to not know what's back there. <sigh>
Bucky
67.5 1600 project

rc240z

Postby rc240z » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:57 am

There are detailed pictures of my car at www.rcnetworksracing.com that might help you, and please feel free to ask questions.

R
Datsun Saves!

406dewey

Postby 406dewey » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:11 am

Hi Chuck, I am wondering how the Paeco roll cage worked out for you? I am thinking of a full roll cage, as well as custom fabrication and wondered if the Paeco cage is a good start point to get an SCCA approved end result. Thanks, Dewey
1968 2 Liter original owner, daily summer driver
1969 2000 SU with B Cam, CSP autocross
1970 2000 Solex with B Cam, road race

Return to “General Discussion”