Cooling Question

Discussion about Datsun 1500, 1600, and 2000 race cars.

Moderator: Chris Coker

DatsunBucky

Cooling Question

Postby DatsunBucky » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:33 pm

I'm building a track-day (with some Solo) R16 and I was just wondering what the racers out there are using for coolant hoses. I plan on replacing the water pump with an electric unit, and the radiator hoses with AN braided hoses. I'll be having a custom radiator built because I want one. How much coolant flow is enough to transfer heat out of the engine? 20gph? 30gph? Besides, how much heat can a little four-banger make, anyway???? :P

Is anyone using the AN hoses? And if so, is the -16 (1") hose sufficient, or do I need to go bigger? This is still in the planning stage, so I don't need to jump right on this, but I'd like to come up with a possible solution. I plan on NO hose clamps on the car ... anywhere. So far, so good.

Also, left coast or right coast (or in between), who has the best reputation for getting the R16 head to flow? Then who, considering $$$ ? With a nod to reliability, I'm figuring on about 80-90% of full-race. Plus, whoever does the heads can do the block machine work, right? Like #@$*& broken head bolts. :evil:

I'm not worrying too much about SCCA Solo, but will still try to stay in Prepared. (I don't want to have to run against Andy in Bucephalus. :shock: )
Bucky
67.5 1600 project

rc240z

Postby rc240z » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:20 am

I use factory hoses, they work fine. So does the factory water pump. We can't run electric ones in vintage.

AN hoses are very expensive and although cool looking, they are a lot of $$$.

As for heat, roadsters are notorious for heat soak. The engine compartment is bad for trapping heat. Getting a good flow of air through the engine compartment is necessary.

I use a Ron Davis Radiator to keep my roadster cool, and it works well. I have heard that an aftermarket Honda Del Sol radiator can be retrofitted as well. Both solutions would work, and you would not have to buy a custom built radiator.

Something tells me that you might be in a different class than Andy Cost....

Ron
Datsun Saves!

Sidney Raper

Postby Sidney Raper » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:24 pm

There is a neat aluminum radiator on eBay that may help. A bolt in that is a stock configuration, but more radiator.
Sid Raper
1964 1500 (project car - to be a driver)
1967 2000 (driving project - to autocross one day...)
plus loads of Roadster stuff....

DatsunBucky

Postby DatsunBucky » Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:54 am

Thanks for the replies. I'll keep all this in mind when I get to that point, although I'm still leaning toward the custom radiator and electric water pump. I have this "thing" about following the mainstream if there's a viable alternative. That's what got me started down the Datsun road in the first place. Back when people pronounced it DAT-sun instead of Daht-sun.

Because of engine size, I wouldn't be in EM with Andy, I'd be in DM. I just wanted to slip him a little compliment.
Bucky
67.5 1600 project

rc240z

to Honda or not to Honda, that is the question.....

Postby rc240z » Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:55 am

Bucky, research is always a good idea. Looking at a problem and finding a better or more elegant solution is a good idea.

Re-inventing the wheel, just because....not such a great idea.

Racers are always looking to be cost effective, because racing at any level is expensive. So, just so you know, I have seen several roadsters with transplant motors (KA's and SR's etc.) with aftermarket Honda Del Sol radiators. It appears that the Del Sol radiator fits really nicely into a roadster.

The Del Sol radiator is an elegant, cost effective solution that won't break the bank.

You can focus on your electric water pump solution with the money that you save...
Datsun Saves!

Bill Wessel
Roadster Fanatic

Postby Bill Wessel » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:49 pm

Sorry to be slow on the uptake, but I'll second the stock hose post. That's all I've ever run and they've held fine even with a 30lb cap and 230 water temp. Stock hoses have not been the issue; getting enough air directed to the small frontal radiator, that's been the issue. I hope to have this resolved next time out.

Return to “General Discussion”