Header Question

Discussion about Datsun 1500, 1600, and 2000 race cars.

Moderator: Chris Coker

DatsunBucky

Header Question

Postby DatsunBucky » Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:30 am

Hi all.

I was wondering what the R16 racers here use for an exhaust manifold. I'm not even close to this point yet, but since I have lots of time to think, I was wondering if I should go to the time and expense to design a header, or use one of the off-the-shelf ones that the vendors sell.

I'm thinking that maybe the 1 5/8" primary tube, ceramic coated vendor version will probably be OK. On the other hand, a super-whoopee jobbie that ends up between the frame rail and the rocker panel would look really cool and allow a longer muffler to be used. (Plus it would get the heat away from my feet. Right, Will?:D) I will have a flex joint between the engine and any solidly mounted part of the exhaust.

The car is a 67 and while I won't actually be "racing" it, I plan on track days and DP Solo. Street Prepared is absolutely out of the question. The engine will be "leaned on" pretty heavily, but not built to within an inch of its life. At least not at this point in time, I do want to keep the rebuilds to a minimum...

All suggestions will be considered, except the one that I reuse the stock exhaust manifold. I WILL be using a header of some design or other. Thanks for your help on this one, guys (and/or gals, if that's the case).

"Do it in a Datsun!" (Yeah, if you're both contortionists. :wink:)
What?? Is this thing still on? Oops. click..................
Bucky
67.5 1600 project

DatsunBucky

Postby DatsunBucky » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:20 am

** bump **
Bucky
67.5 1600 project

Mike Poorboy

Postby Mike Poorboy » Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:41 pm

Bucky,
I have been on the phone the past few days trying to revive my 2 liter project, and headers have come up. I have the el cheapo coated header,
on my 2 liter, and if you really look at it there isn't much gained over the factory one. I have also had a look at several attempts of lets call them race headers, and the difference is noticeable. The over and under the frame style header was to get the maximum flow without hacking the whole frame section up. With the new style low flow mufflers this might be accomplished using a through the frame system. I am looking into
having Sam at LNA build me a header to fit my car. Bill should be able to
give you better feedback on the 1.6. With his car breathing a bit better using the Mikunis it will be interesting to see how his car dynos.

Mike

Bill Wessel
Roadster Fanatic

Postby Bill Wessel » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:02 pm

Bucky,

On my car I run a stepped header made from 1 1/2" pipes from the head into 1 5/8" pipes to the collector. The collector dumps into a 2 1/2" pipe out the length of the car apart from a terminal Dynomax muffler. The header was made for me by a local fabricator in consultation with the fellow that ported the head and is tuned to a ~5-8000 rev range and the 1.38" exhaust valve. This same fabricator made up the solid motor mounts and massaged the frame to allow clearance for this setup, but it follows the stock contours, not an over/under type.

This is full out race prep, Bucky. If you need more info, e-mail me direct.

Take it to the track...Bill

Return to “General Discussion”