Roll Bar Mounting

Discussion about Datsun 1500, 1600, and 2000 race cars.

Moderator: Chris Coker

DatsunBucky

Roll Bar Mounting

Postby DatsunBucky » Mon May 12, 2008 9:18 pm

Hi, all-

I'm having a little trouble with interpreting the GCR and Solo2 rules as to the mounting of the roll bar in my car. The way I read it, it is OK to mount the structure to the body rather than the frame as long as all the other requirements are met. The Solo rules are a little more specific, but there's still room for interpretation. Even the GCR seems to be a little vague on the mounting system.

So, how's it done on your cars? Do I need to throw the whole thing away and re-engineer from the ground (frame?) up? Oh,man, I hope not.

Chris-
Thanks so much for your prompt help on that other problem.
Bucky
67.5 1600 project

Mike Poorboy

Postby Mike Poorboy » Wed May 14, 2008 2:10 pm

Bucky,
For what I can remember the rules from the Solo2 rule book are pretty
basic on attachement. The bar doesn't have to be attached to the frame.
Remember most of the new car don't have frames, they are unibody.

I believe they give you a minimum tubing size for the weight of the car,
and the size of the mounting plate. It also tell you angles and such. I doubt anyone would ever check the cage unless you run the Championship, and even then I bet most techs haven't a clue of the roll bar rule. The roll bar rule in Production racing has been an interesting topic over the years.

You can send an email to SCCA to see if you are okay with what you have, although they might catch the PVC pipe eventually :)

Mike

DatsunBucky

Postby DatsunBucky » Wed May 14, 2008 11:31 pm

Mike Poorboy wrote:Bucky,
For what I can remember the rules from the Solo2 rule book are pretty
basic on attachement. The bar doesn't have to be attached to the frame.
Remember most of the new car don't have frames, they are unibody.

I believe they give you a minimum tubing size for the weight of the car,
and the size of the mounting plate. It also tell you angles and such. I doubt anyone would ever check the cage unless you run the Championship, and even then I bet most techs haven't a clue of the roll bar rule. The roll bar rule in Production racing has been an interesting topic over the years.

You can send an email to SCCA to see if you are okay with what you have, although they might catch the PVC pipe eventually :)

Mike

They make allowances for unibody cars in the rules. I've met all the other specifications for tubing size, etc. I even went bigger and stronger on the bolts. It says in Appendix C.E.1:

"Roll bars and braces must be attached to the frame of the car wherever possible. Mounting plates may be used for this purpose where desired." Must be? Wherever possible? This seems pretty open to interpretation to me. And that's what's got me worried. If my interpretation doesn't match the tech inspector's, then no runny.

Besides, I painted the PVC black so they wouldn't notice. Weight reduction, my dear boy, it's all about weight reduction. :wink:
Bucky
67.5 1600 project

DatsunBucky

Postby DatsunBucky » Wed May 14, 2008 11:34 pm

Just found out I can't ask SCCA anything because I'm not a member.
Bucky
67.5 1600 project

Return to “General Discussion”