Ft. Myers National tour results

Discussion about Datsun 1500, 1600, and 2000 race cars.

Moderator: Chris Coker

Ft. Myers National tour results

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 24, 2004 8:10 pm

Datsun Roadster's 3rd and 4th in CSP. That's the bottom line.
Tim Aro won the class which was expected - He'd finished 2nd at Topeka in Sept. by 2 tenth's. His co-driver was a ways behind him in second place. Bill Harvey brought the old championship winning roadster out for the first time in about 8 months. Neither he nor the car had collected much dust. Despite running on an old set of Victoracers he was way out ahead of me on my new Hoosiers. I thought I'd have been closer to him given the tire disparity but turns out tires just don't make up for skill. Had he been on my tires, he wouldn't have beaten Aro on Saturday but might have on Sunday. Sunday's course was more freindly to the roadster than to the MR2. I was pretty slow all weekend - not enough experiance to pick the speed up quickly after having had 3 months off between "real" autocrosses. It was also a little more stressful having only 3 runs to get it right. Going into Sunday, I was 5th behind a CRX that I'd beaten the weekend before. I was able to pick up the pace enough to overtake the CRX and keep Don Alexander (who's my big local competition) behind me - but just barely. Still, not to bad for my first National. I'd expected to finish 4th but hoped I'd have given Bill a better run for his money. Had a ton of fun though.
More seat time... More seat time...

Oilleak

Postby Oilleak » Tue Feb 24, 2004 8:12 pm

Brian Hollands
69 2000
Tampa, FL

Gary Boone

Postby Gary Boone » Fri Feb 27, 2004 12:11 am

Bryan,
Just curious, what does the "R" designate in the event results?

I sure wish we could get a Tour event again in Denver. We have lame efforts by the Colorado club officials to acquire decent venues for a big event. We only have 2 sites to use in Colorado and on the verge of losing both due to noise complaints. :roll:
Gary

Oilleak

Postby Oilleak » Fri Feb 27, 2004 1:48 pm

Not entirely sure but I think it means rookie. I did note that it was my first national on the entry.
We're worried about sites too. They're building houses next to Buckingham - not good. If you want to see any of the runs on video (non of mine are on tape but a couple freinds of mine had camera in car) go to www.tamparacing.com - go to the forums, and look for Ft. Myers tour results or something like that as a topic. there are links to about a few runs from both days so you can see how great a site Buckingham is.
Later,
Brian
Brian Hollands
69 2000
Tampa, FL

Ponder

Postby Ponder » Mon Mar 29, 2004 3:45 pm

Brian,

Should have dropped you a line a month ago on a great run. I would think that that's an exemplary effort for a first national tour event. I'm considering the National tour up at Peru in July. I'm not sure I'll be ready for it.

By the way, how did the KFP Blues perform? (i can't remember if that's right). I'm thinking that the Tour event was going to be your first time trying them.

Anyway, again, great run.

Steve
I drank what? - Socrates

Oilleak

Postby Oilleak » Mon Mar 29, 2004 4:30 pm

Thanks,
It was fun although I was edgy through the whole event - not having seen how a national runs or what the competition is like. I'll definitly run it again next year. Maybe get another national event in this year but probably just divisionals.
The jury's still out on the KPF's. To be honest, I'm not sure I noticed much difference. I think the old pads were the repco's.
Brian Hollands
69 2000
Tampa, FL

Oilleak

Postby Oilleak » Mon Apr 05, 2004 8:10 pm

Well I ran at Ft. Myers again Sunday. this time, I'd found that the rear brakes were more or less non-functional so I fixed that problem (axle seals) and put new linings on the rear - just had a local guy re-line the old shoes. The brakes felt as good as they ever have and slowed the car very well. I'd say the KPF's are pretty good. Not sure they're worth the money over the Repco (axxis) pads or not but they work well.
By the way, I won CSP going away.
Brian Hollands
69 2000
Tampa, FL

Gary Boone

Postby Gary Boone » Mon Apr 05, 2004 10:51 pm

Way to go Brian

Return to “General Discussion”