Solo H stock

Discussion about Datsun 1500, 1600, and 2000 race cars.

Moderator: Chris Coker

Ponder

Solo H stock

Post by Ponder »

I've got a 1600 (well, a 2000 that has a 1600 engine in it.) with a five speed. I'm wanting to autocross it in H stock. Was the 1600 available from the factory with a five-speed? If it wasn't, I'll need to locate a four speed and associated parts.

I know this is primarily a road racing forum but has anyone ever seen a serious 1600 H stock effort? It seems like a potent car for that class. The current sweetheart of that class is the Cooper Non S. About 115 Hp and 2400-2500 lbs curb weight. Seems like the 1600 would be right there. I've run mine twice and have been running pretty close to where my CRX (G stock) was last year.

Thanks for you help.
Steve
I drank what? - Socrates
Chris Coker
Site Admin

Post by Chris Coker »

The stock 1600 was only available with a 4 speed.

To change it over, you'll need a transmission, transmission mount, drive shaft, and shift cover plate. You'll probably also have to modify the transmission tunnel, as I think the shifter is in a slightly different location.

I've run my street 1600 in CSP off and on for a few years. The only thing that isn't stock is the exhaust header, otherwise I'd run it in H Stock. Even with street tires, I manage to beat a few guys here an there. Lot's of fun.
Chris C.
Russell Roach

Post by Russell Roach »

Steve,

Let me know what you need I have all the goodies including the drive shaft.

Russell
Bill Wessel
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Bill Wessel »

Steve,

I've got all that stuff too (from parted cars), and will be going out to Ohio over Labor Day and Sept 13th (to) and Sept 20 (from) the Runoffs. Hence, I could meet you (preferably on the way out) to make the transfer.

Does it have a stock 3.90 rear (1600) or the 3.70 (2000)? You'll want the 3.90; it will make a difference!

You'll also want things like a non-smogged distributor, pre-'68. What's the serial number of your engine....if it's less than 40,000 you probably already have it.

Bill
Ponder

Post by Ponder »

I'm really new to this car. Bought it around Easter and am learning a lot.

I was wondering about the smog issue. The block number is in the 15000s. When I got a new alternator for it from datsunparts, Dean was surprised my alternator was on the right side of the engine and said someone must have de-smogged it. I had to get an early style alternator instead of a late style. Does that make sense?

I keep meaning to try to figure out what rear end I have. This is probably a stupid question. I can tell by lifting up the rear end and comparing the revolutions of the wheels to revolutions of the drive shaft?

Thanks for the great responses. Bill, I'm thinking that sounds like a great idea. I hope I can figure out what all I need by then.

Thanks again,
Steve
I drank what? - Socrates
Bill Wessel
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Bill Wessel »

With the rear up and the car in neutral, chalk both the drive shaft and a rear wheel. Now turn the driveshaft and watch the wheel (if you turn the wheel, you might get a bad read because of the "diff" action). You should be able to tell whether it's a 3.90 or 3.70. One will be close to 4 revs of the shaft to one wheel rev and the other will only be ~3.75.

From that number, you've got an early three main engine with an aluminum non-smogged head....perfect! You've already got the non-smogged distributor (most likely). Make sure the advance plate is working!
Proper tuning and you should have a potent H stock package.

I'd prefer to do this over Labor Day and drive the Skyway to 80/90 thru Gary into Ind. That would be Friday evening around 8 pm. Will that work for you?

As for cost....how's $300 delivered sound?

Bill
Ponder

Post by Ponder »

Bill,

That sounds good to me. I'll e-mail you and work out details.

Thanks a lot,
Steve
I drank what? - Socrates